PRINCES STREET GARDENS
Street was originally planned to have no buildings
on its southern side, to afford the residents a view
to the castle and the old Town.
The former site of the Nor' Loch,
was initially developed as private garden plots but from 1876 it was designated
a public park.
The Mound divides the gardens, with the east side covering an area of 8.5 acres
to Waverley Bridge, and the west side an area of 29 acres extending to St. John's
and St Cuthbert's churches.
The location has remained largely unchanged through the years, though in 1846
the railway was extended through the back of the gardens, a development that
was not without controversy.
Within the gardens, along the south side of Princes Street are numerous statues
and monuments. The most dominant of these is the Scott
Monument (1846). Other notable figures, commemorated scupturally
in the East Gardens include explorer David
Livingstone (1813-73), publisher Adam
Black (1784-1874) and essayist Professor John
Wilson (1785 - 1854).
In the West Gardens are statues of poet, Allan
Ramsay (1681-1758); reformer, Thomas
Guthrie (1803-73); obstetric pioneer, James
Young Simpson (1811-70).
The Ross Fountain is
also situated here, as is the famous Floral
Clock and the Ross
Bandstand which hosts concerts during the Festival and
• PRINCES STREET GARDENS