huge gothic tower was built to commemorate the work of Sir
Walter Scott (1771-1832.
The foundation stone was laid on August 15th 1840
and it was completed in 1844 at a cost of little
to 200ft 6 inches high it contains a spiralling staircase
of 287 steps and offers magnificent views from the top spire.
of light sandstone, the pollution from traffic over the years
has darkened it considerably.
under the huge arches of the tower is a solid marble sculputure
of Sir Walter Scott with his beloved dog ' Maida' carved
by sculptor John Steell.