This magnificent bronze statue of The
Duke of Wellington mounted on a rearing horse was sculpted
by Sir John Steel (1804 - 1891) and erected outside Register
House in 1852 among much celebration.
The Duke himself was so pleased that he
commissioned two further versions of the sculpture, one for
his home, Apsley House and the other for Eton London.
Steel also scuplted;
Alexander and Bucephalus
Sir Walter Scott
& Queen Victoria