EDWARD BANNERMAN RAMSAY
Born in Aberdeen, Dean Ramsay became one of the more popular church
figures in Edinburgh’s history.
He was childhood was spent on his great-uncle’s estate in Yorkshire
and in 1806 attended the Cathedral Grammar School in Durham.
He continued his education at St John’s College, Cambridge, and
in on gaining his Bacherlor of Arts in 1816, he was ordained as curate
of Redden, Somerset where spent much of his time studying botany, architecture
He was particularly fond of music and was an accomplished flautist.
In 1824, Ramsay came to Edinburgh to curate at St George’s in
York Place. He was then in appointment as minister of St John’s.
Princes Street in 1830 where he remained until his death.
was also made Dean of the Diocese of Edinburgh in 1841 in addition to
his appointment at St. John's.
In 1828 he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh and
became Vice-President of the society In 1862.
Chief founder of the Scottish Episcopalian Church Society in 1838, Dean
Ramsay also helped establish Trinity College, Glenalmond, in 1846.
socialable fellow, Dean Ramsay or as he was known to friends 'The Dean',
was known forhis many ancedotes, many of which formed the basis for
his publication in 1858 ‘Reminiscences of Scottish Life and Character’
a book which ran to twenty one editions.
His popularity meant he was greatly mourned when he died in 1872 and
his congregation placed a commemorative tablet Inside St. John’s
and his eight-metre high celtic cross was erected outside the church
in 1879 as a memorial to him. Designed by Rowand Anderson, it was made
by Farmer and Brindley of London.